Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Beware of Pickpockets!


It can't be a Cinderella story all the time.

Of course you read "Beware of Pickpockets" all over Milan (and other places in Italy) and especially in bus/train stations. And of course you clutch your purse tighter, pay closer attention to people near you and keep stuff out of your back pockets.

But sometimes it happens anyway.

Dad and I were taking the train from Milano Centrale to Florence this past Saturday, and sometime in the station, Dad got robbed. Centrale was packed with people and we kept getting bumped into while weaving our way to our train. At one point when we were heading to the platform everyone bottle-necked and we ended up at a standstill. That's when I think it happened.

The worst part is that poor Dad was even prepared. He had his money clip in a side cargo pant pocket that was velcro'd shut. Sadly, it was still snatched. Credit cards, 300 Euro, license and the money clip from Joan... gone.

Thankfully we have my cards/cash and phone. So Dad called the credit card company etc to cancel the cards.

He took it fairly well, whereas I on the other hand was livid and nervous! For the next two days I had some anxiety going out and about and the distinct desire to punch people in the face. In fact, I may still want to do that. ;) But we figured it all out and all is well. I just hate not having control over certain events, or just knowing that I can't change the outcome of something frustrating.

This is two robberies in one trip: Cathy's smartphone and Dad's wallet. Can we be done now!?

This has not and will not sour my trip to Florence. <3 nbsp="" p="">
Meg

No comments: