Friday, May 24, 2013

Wheelin' and Dealin' in Charlotte Amalie


(This is at about 5:45am)

Day Two: May 23rd

Somehow I managed to wake myself up at 5:45am today on my own… yeah, I know! I was shocked too. I rolled over and looked out the porch door to see the hint of a sunrise peaking up through the clouds. I sprang out of bed and grabbed my camera. Groggily, I snapped a few great shots of sunbursts poking through, and light shining on the boats in the inlet. Just as fast as I sprang up to take photos, it hit me. It’s 5:45 in the friggin morning! The college student in me decided that this was unacceptable, so I crawled back in bed until 6:30.

Today was our great Charlotte Amalie excursion. After eating breakfast at the resort, we packed up the Jeep and headed into town. Wandering down the waterfront and subsequently main street was sensory overload. I have NEVER seen so many jewelry stores in my entire life. Now I see why Joan always came back with some nice new baubles! Being a stereotypical woman, I am drawn to shiny objects. We were not short on those today! Val, Kristen and I got matching hook bracelets that are common down in the Caribbean.  At the same place, I found these BEAUTIFUL pieces of blue diamond jewelry. The jeweler was fairly desperate for a sale, so he wouldn’t leave me be. He tried to convince me to buy a $1,400 blue diamond ring (for $735) and the poor guy just didn’t get that I was serious in that I am POOR. However, I came across a small three diamond (two blue and one white) pendant which was gorgeous, but priced a little over $1,000 which is just ridiculous. So I oohed and ahhed over it, but turned to head away because come on… He offered to sell it for $400 which I kindly turned down. He said “WAIT HERE” and jotted off to his boss. Ten minutes later I am walking out with the pendant, a fine silver chain and the hook bracelet for under $200.00 (still pricey, but for real jewelry, it was a steal). After that I found a small Caribbean topaz ring which was very inexpensive, as well as a sundress and sarong. I’d say it was a successful excursion.
On the “must-do” list was a lunch date at Cuzzins (sp?) on Back street. The building sat at a crossroads, and stood well over 200 years old. When you walk through the door, the smell of home cooking just wafted in. After MUCH hemming and hauling, I settled on stewed mutton with fungi (a mix of cornmeal and okra), local stuffing (a mashed sweet potato, cinnamon, raisin and pepper mix) and plantains. Oh. My. Word. It was amazing. Just AMAZING! Kris got a curried conch which was out of sight! I can see the draw to the place! J

When we got tired, we drove back to Red Hook and went for groceries. I said this last time I was here and I’ll say it again… GOOD GOD the food is expensive. Like 4.99 for a bag of frozen spinach? For real? But this will save us quite a bit in eating out.

When we arrived back to Sapphire,  we quickly changed into our suits and headed to the beach. Considering the age of the resort, I must say the beach is still amazing. White sand, coral and crystal clear aqua blue water. Oh how I’ve missed bobbing like a cork. J I think Kris was pretty pleased as well. I do think I stayed out a little too long though because I’m looking sort of like a steamed crab right now. Thankfully it doesn’t hurt… yet.






After a long swim and just enjoying one another’s company on the beach, we headed back to Rob, Val and K’s suite for dinner. Here was what Rob and Val made us:

-          -Linguini with asparagus spears, garlic, mushrooms and some EVOO
-          -A tossed salad with avocado and tomato, and a lemon, EVOO and spice dressing
-          -Ting and rum to drink. OMG. LOVE IT! Think pink grapefruit and the sweetness of rum. :)

So tonight I’m closing out at 10pm because the sun and shopping just took it right out of me. Let’s hope I catch the sunrise tomorrow.

Cheers and Ting & Rum giggles,

Meg 

No comments: