Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Your Pain is a Gift




I always hope to be better at this. Writing comes naturally to me so I'm not sure why it's so hard for me to post more frequently.

Life has been taking interesting twists and turns. Some good, some not so much so. But I guess that's why life is said to be a roller coaster right? I got a job interview for a full time spot at NOVA. I haven't heard back yet, but at least I know the interview went well for me. I also met with the chair of another PhD program and he was very insightful. I think I may have been barking up the wrong tree. Go figure I'd find out a year later. I hope I've not been wasting my time. Kimmie got married in the Keys and I was honored to be one of her bridesmaids. Weddings make me so happy because I can still see love left in the world... but then I also think back to my past and realize that many of my decisions have been overwhelmingly wrong. Enough on that today. That's a fight for a different day. More good stuff is that K and I have started our summer concert-going and baseball-watching. :) Concerts always do something extraordinary to me. After them I feel much more inspired to write and listen to music extremely LOUD. I've been playing Shinedown nonstop for a while now. Always been a top band of mine, but lately the songs off their new album have offered more of a cathartic experience for me. I support catharsis.

I've been missing people lately. I think because the seasons are changing again and the semester is winding to a close. I'll miss some of my students. They have really been awesome and supportive this semester. I needed the ego boost (a teacher of the year award didn't hurt either!) I'm also missing people who are not a part of my life anymore. I have got to start working on letting things go. Especially when I have NO control over them. That's always been one of my fatal flaws. I don't forget anything and I dwell constantly. Nothing about that can be healthy.

Regardless, I need to start working with what I have. My successes and failures can all benefit me if I use them correctly. This summer I resolve to start writing again. Not just on here, but my stories and songs again. I used to write everyday... but somehow over time I've lost faith in the craft and gave up. Time to stop hesitating all the time.

-M


"I never heard such a haunting melody. Oh, it's killing me. You know I can barely breathe. Just like a crow chasing a butterfly..." -Shinedown

No comments: